The building, which today houses the Hotel Johann Strauss, was built at the end of the 19th century and used to accommodate higher middle-class appartments. At the beginning of the 20th century the ground floor was used as a cinema. The Johann Strauss Cinema in the Favoritenstrasse 12 existed from 1912 to 1968 under its original name „Maxim Bio“.
In 1961, the pension „Erika“ was taken over by the previous owning family and was later established as Clima Dependence, today’s Hotel Johann Strauss.
A few years later, the whole house was bought and step by step transformed into hotel rooms. The name changed into Clima Hotel Johann Strauss.
The former cinema hall was changed into the hotel lobby. Back then, the hotel already comprised 29 rooms; a few apartments were still privately occupied. In 1985 the last apartments were shut down and the whole building was transformed into a hotel, until today including a total of 64 rooms.
Adjacent to the hotel was the „Johann Strauss Theatre“, where Johann Strauss performed his concerts. The hotel was named after the famous composer Johann Strauss, whose son lived in the 4th district.